Friday, June 8, 2007

This is in response to the question about Box Day and what we did for box day. This was a special day that the kids had a great time. I collected large appliance boxes, shoe boxes, jewelry boxes and any other kind of box that I could get my hands on. For the storytime, I explained the importance to parents of not constantly stimulating children with the latest and greatest thing, but allowing them the time to explore and use their own imaginations. I then shared several books:
  • Thank You, Bear by Greg Foley
  • The Birthday Box by Leslie Patricelli
  • A Box Can be Many Things by Dana Meachen Rau
  • Not a Box by Antoinette Portis

There are so many good children's box books that sky is the limit. After sharing books, I asked the children to come explore the boxes. They had a blast. Some they could sit in, others they crawled through. There were small ones to put things in and open and close. I then reassemble the group and asked what they imagined their box was. One boy said a house and another said an elevator. I ended with another box story and then gave each child a small box that had a treat in it such as a sucker. It was a fun day and an easy storytime idea.

No comments: