Friday, April 27, 2007

Yesterday during storytime, I pointed out to parents that I had placed ECRR brochures by the door for them to take with them. I also explained to them that we would talk about vocabulary because I was introducing a book that had words that might be unfamiliar to younger readers. This is where my props helped. I used a prop for the things that "Scaredy Squirrel" had in his first aid kit. I also brought non-fiction books with me because Squaredy Squirrel was afraid of tarantulas, poison ivy, sharks, germs, and green martians. I brought a book for all of those and explained to parents that even if nonfiction books had lengthy text, they were great for vocabulary building.

Also, last night I spoke at a parenting meeting at Sweetwater Elementary School. I promoted the library services, but I used it as an opportunity to talk about ECRR and the importance of early literacy skills to emergent readers. I took brochures and this seemed to go over well.

Amy

No comments: